Sunday, July 26, 2009

rubber stamped madness....

I remember making my own greeting cards, even before they became "the rave"...back then there were no books, magazines dedicated to this art. I used to hand draw all of my cards, before there were programs on computers to just plug in a design with a simple push of a button. Infact, back in the early 1980's, there was no mention of computers..there may have been computers out there somewhere..but I didn't hear about this technology..and if someone told me that there was such a program to make designing cards a little easier..it would have been foreign to my ears.
Fast forward to the mid '80 and early '90's..I found a display of tiny rubber stamped images..ladybugs, hearts, mice, cats... as I held these little gems in my fingers I thought "how cool" this will help make my creative job a little easier with instant images. So, I picked up a black ink pad, blue, purple..and more card stock..I couldn't wait to get home to try this new skill. I was so thrilled with my attempts at making something beautiful..I couldn't wait to get back to the mall and pick out a new image...by this time there were other displays of bigger rubber stamps.. my eyes darted back and forth looking at all the possiblities. Now it was harder than ever to choose. What do you think I should pick?, asking my husband...he pointed to one then another...he said, well its really your choice. [ Alot of good that did! ] So, I filled my basket with rubber stamps of flowers, a cat, butterfly..more card stock...and now I had graduated to embossing powder and a heat gun! Think of the possibilities. By the end of the year I had more than I knew what to do with..my drawer was spilling over with stamps, stickers, ink pads, card stock, heat gun, glitter, glue, etc... when was this madness going to end? I wondered. Yes, the stamps helped me produce some lovely card items...I made them for friends, relatives...sigh..anybody I could think of. And now, I found myself getting bored.

To this very day...I still have a "supply" of stamps..various styles..ink pads...I still have my original heat gun. And just now, I picked up a 2000 February Issue of Stamping Arts & Crafts collecting dust on the bookshelf... thumbing through the pages...beautiful artful designs fill every page...I'm in instant wonder. They make the designs I did, look elementary.

I've got an idea..if you are a "stamper at heart" and you don't mind sharing your ideas with me..leave a comment and tell of your latest greatest project! I would love to hear from you. =) Mary

1 comment:

  1. Mary,

    Here is the web address for a fellow blogger and friend of mine, Cindy. She loves making cards and has some really cute ones she designed.

    http://frugalcardmaker.blogspot.com/2009/07/few-more-from-2007.html

    Now, I have to get back to work and finish up, so I can get some sleep! LOL ~ Cheryl

    ReplyDelete